PLAYMOBIL – from Dietenhofen to the World
Germany’s largest and most advanced toy production, storage and distribution facility
About 70% of the toys on sale in Germany are manufactured in Asian countries. But, the people at geobra Brandstätter GmbH & Co. KG – better known as the makers of PLAYMOBIL – are proud of their “Made in Europe” brand, producing toys in their own factories in Germany and Europe. The production site at Dietenhofen (district of Ansbach in Bavaria) is the heart of PLAYMOBIL’s manufacturing network. Since its launch in 1969 on over 2.6 million square feet of its own land, the company has constantly expanded and invested in this facility, and now has roughly 1.2 million square feet of enclosed production space. Approximately 1,200 people work here. Every day, up to 10 million individual parts are made by more than 420 injection molding machines, 250,000 parts are printed and an average of 65,000 PLAYMOBIL sets are packaged.
To meet the rising worldwide demand for PLAYMOBIL, a new injection mold shop with 80 machines and another fully-automated high-rack storage system with 12,000 storage positions were established in 2011. Both new building complexes went into operation in January and February 2012 and, according to Technical Director Robert Benker, have improved efficiency by 20%. Horst Brandstätter, the owner of the company, invested €25 million in these expansions, and he plans to invest a further €100 million in the production in Germany throughout 2013.
The Brandstätter Group has another large, high-tech production site on the Mediterranean island of Malta, which manufactures all the PLAYMOBIL figures (2.6 billion since its market launch in 1974) and the PLAYMOBIL 1.2.3 line for toddlers. Further production facilities are located in Spain and the Czech Republic, as well as another small site in Germany.
With successful certification under DIN EN ISO 14001:2009 in December 2011, geobra Brandstätter introduced a joint environmental management system for the PLAYMOBIL and LECHUZA brands. In combination with the company’s environmental policy, this means the beginning of a process for the best possible protection of the environment and resources.
PLAYMOBIL Production at Dietenhofen Facts and Figures:
- Overall area: over 2.6 million square feet
- Enclosed production area: approximately 1.2 million square feet
- Number of pallet storage positions: 77,000
- Number of injection molding machines: 424, including 21 for the LECHUZA brand
- Capacity of injected parts per day: up to 10 million
- Average number of packages produced each day: 65,000
- Number of employees in 2012 (annual average): 1,319
- Consumption of plastic granules at Dietenhofen, including contract injection molders: over 24,341 tons
- Each day, approximately 250,000 individual PLAYMOBIL parts are printed in the tampon printing process
- DIN EN ISO 14001:2009 certification in 12/2011
Last updated: May 2013